Welcome to M.A.R.B.

My name is Crystal and I am the addict that will be blogging about recipes I have torn out of Magazines.

Here is the plan. Every Sunday I will choose and make a recipe. I will take photos during the process and then give a critique. I have been accumulating recipes over that past 5 years and it is about time I try them.

I hope you will find this blog informative and entertaining. Thank you!

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Pumpkin Gnocchi

Happy Thanksgiving!

I chose today's recipe for two reasons. One, it contains pumpkin and two I have always wanted to try to make Gnocchi. How hard could it be?! Make a dough, roll it into ropes, cut it into pieces and boil. Well let me tell you it is hard!

This recipe was torn out of the Canadian Living Magazine.


The ingredients were fairly easy to find. I did end up having to going to a second grocery store to buy the pine nuts and the sage.


When reading the directions on how to make the dough, I thought it sounded easy. I mixed the first set of ingredients and then proceeded to incorporate the flour. That is where the frustration began. I started mixing it with the wooden spoon and quickly replaced it with my hand. My hand got very sticky. According to the recipe I was supposed to add flour until it "pulled away from the bowl but still stuck to the spoon" It was not obvious when that occurred. So, I guessed. When I had about a half a cup of flour left I began the rolling. It was not easy to roll! When pushing away from myself the dough would flatten. I ended up with this:


Too big and too long.

I boiled them and then added them to the brown butter and pine nut sauce.


I am going to TOSS this recipe. It did not taste horrible but it did not taste like the ones I eat at a local restaurant. I will not give up on gnocchi. I will attempt it again some day in the far future. Most likely a recipe with a cream sauce instead of butter. There was WAY to much butter. The Sage smelt nice and I have always enjoyed pine nuts but sage looks ugly after it is cooked.

For all you Weight Watchers followers: approximately 13 pieces were 13 points. Another reason why I will be tossing this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment