Welcome to M.A.R.B.

My name is Crystal and I am the addict that will be blogging about recipes I have torn out of Magazines.

Here is the plan. Every Sunday I will choose and make a recipe. I will take photos during the process and then give a critique. I have been accumulating recipes over that past 5 years and it is about time I try them.

I hope you will find this blog informative and entertaining. Thank you!

Monday, January 21, 2013

Split Pea Soup

Today's recipe seemed appropriate because of the ridiculously cold temperature outside.

A bowl of warm comforting Split Pea Soup. This recipe was torn out of the Everyday Food Magazine.


I remember my mother making this kind of soup during the winter season. I remember hers being a brighter colour of green. Anyways, here are the ingredients required for this recipe. 


Step one was not hard to do. Unfortunately after 5 minutes I had already developed a concern. It was the crispiness of the bread. Their texture was more like toast than croutons. Perhaps it needed more than the requested 1 tbsp of oil.


On to step two. When I added the second tbsp of oil to the pot it started smoking. My temperature was at medium-high as instructed. I reduced it to medium and then added the onions, garlic and cumin.


After the instructed 6 minutes, the ingredients in the pot were a little well done. I added the broth, water and split peas. It took a good 5 minutes for it to come to a boil. I stirred it occasionally while it simmered for 35 minutes. I didn't like the consistency of the soup after the 35 minutes so I used an emulsion blender to smooth it out. I scooped out 3 full ladles, added the croutons and then the parsley. 


The only good thing about this recipe was the ingredients list. They were cheap. The worst thing about this recipe were the croutons. Seconds after you put them into the soup they became soft and mushy tasting. I did not enjoy the added flavour of parsley. The soup was bearable. It had a thinner consistency than the one I remember my mother making. It might taste better with bacon bits. If you have not guessed it by now, I am TOSSing this recipe.

Weight Watcher's Followers: The entire recipe is 48 points. Not worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment