Welcome to M.A.R.B.

My name is Crystal and I am the addict that will be blogging about recipes I have torn out of Magazines.

Here is the plan. Every Sunday I will choose and make a recipe. I will take photos during the process and then give a critique. I have been accumulating recipes over that past 5 years and it is about time I try them.

I hope you will find this blog informative and entertaining. Thank you!

Monday, January 14, 2013

Classis Lemon Loaf & Mini Philly Bites

Both recipes were chosen for the purposes of hors d'oeuvres, served at my very first Swap Party.

The Classic Lemon Loaf recipe was torn out of a Chatelaine magazine.


I read the entire recipe first. I'm trying to make this a habit, so that I am fully prepared for the execution of the recipe. After reading it I thought maybe I had not ripped out the entire recipe. I did.

Here are the ingredients:


The only thing I had to go buy was the lemon.

After beating in the eggs, vanilla and milk to the butter and sugar, my batter looked curdled.


I think it is because the eggs and milk were cold. Not sure but when I stirred in the flour it looked better.


I put it into the oven and it took approximately 1 hour to bake.


I wasn't fond of the dark edges. It looks pretty much like the picture so, I guess I was in good shape. I poked the holes into the top of the loaf, drizzed half of the lemon syrup, let it cool for 10 minutes and then turned it out.


I was weary in the beginning when it asked for the pan to only be oiled. I am used to buttering and then flouring a loaf pan. As you can see, I did not oil the pan enough. I had planned to slice the loaf so I wasn't to worried.

Here it is after I drizzled the remaining lemon syrup on top:


On to the Mini Philly Bites. This recipe was torn out of a Canadian Living magazine.


This recipe was very simple. It was in a list of 4 other quick bites.

Here are the 4 ingredients you need:


I did not buy a caramelized onion spread. My husband caramelized two yellow onions in butter.

My husband ended up assembling these bites because I was getting ready for my Swap Party.


I gave him strict instructions to make them as identical as possible. I think he did an amazing job!

Once my guests arrived I broiled them on HI for 4 minutes.


I let them cool slightly and then ate one.

I found the Classic Lemon Loaf dry for my liking. My guests enjoyed it. There were only two pieces left. It takes a long time to bake and it's sticky. Three reasons why I'm going to TOSS this recipe.

The Mini Philly Bites were sooo yummy! Easy to assemble, had only four ingredients and took only 4 minutes to broil. Four reasons why I am KEEPing this recipe.

Weight Watcher's Followers:  The Classic Lemon Loaf recipe is approximately 78 points. A 1'' piece would be approximately 9 points. The points for the Mini Philly Bites are dependent on how much you chose to put on each slice of baguette and how much butter you use to caramelize the onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment