Welcome to M.A.R.B.

My name is Crystal and I am the addict that will be blogging about recipes I have torn out of Magazines.

Here is the plan. Every Sunday I will choose and make a recipe. I will take photos during the process and then give a critique. I have been accumulating recipes over that past 5 years and it is about time I try them.

I hope you will find this blog informative and entertaining. Thank you!

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Slow-Cooker Vegetarian Chili with Sweet Potatoes

Today I chose to do a simple, non labourious recipe.

It was torn out of the Real Simple Magazine.


Here are the ingredients:


I did not use exactly what the recipe called for. The grocery store I chose to do my shopping at did not have 15.5-ounce cans of black beans or kidney beans. I used 28-ounce cans instead. I was concerned that because of the quantity change the chili might have come out drier but it did not. I could not find fire-roasted diced tomatoes so I used regular diced tomatoes. The only other thing I did not end up using was radishes. Not a fan.

The preparation took as stated 20 minutes. Here are all the ingredients in the slow cooker:


I went with the 4-5 hours on high option. I checked on it every hour and gave it a stir.

After 3 hours the sweet potatoes were cooked so, I turned the slow cooker down to LOW.

This is what it looked like after 4 hours and when we chose to eat it:


I have to say after looking at this picture the brown liquid isn't very appealing but the house smelt amazing!

I served myself two ladles full, added some sour cream and scallions (green onions) and ate it with tortilla chips just like the recipe suggests. No radishes.


After smelling it for 3 hours I was eager to eat it. Unfortunately it was underwhelming. It lacked flavour. Next time I would add a diced up jalapeno. My husband would have replaced the sweet potatoes with meat. That completely defeats the purpose of it being vegetarian. I am torn about the decision to keep or toss this recipe. My vegetarian upbringing enjoyed it but my husband the carnivore didn't. I cannot eat it all on my own. Although I could make it and freeze it for myself. Hmmm. I need a stand alone freezer.

I am KEEPing it.

Weight Watcher's followers: This is a good one! The recipe the way I made it had approximately 9 cups. I ate approximately 1 1/2 cups. Each cup is 3 points. Not including the sour cream or the chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment