Welcome to M.A.R.B.

My name is Crystal and I am the addict that will be blogging about recipes I have torn out of Magazines.

Here is the plan. Every Sunday I will choose and make a recipe. I will take photos during the process and then give a critique. I have been accumulating recipes over that past 5 years and it is about time I try them.

I hope you will find this blog informative and entertaining. Thank you!

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Garlic Chicken and Potatoes AND Chocolate Mousse Torte

A couple weeks ago I made Macaroni and Cheese with Corn Dogs. I had a very heavy feeling in my stomach after that meal. Today's combination was a perfect balance of light and heavy.

I chose to make Garlic Chicken and Potatoes, torn out of the Food Network Magazine and Chocolate Mousse Torte, torn out of the Real Simple Magazine but actually a recipe in an ad for Kraft Foods.


I made the Chocolate Mousse Torte first, seeing that it required 3 hours in the fridge. Here are the ingredients I used:


I used the majority of the recommended items in the ingredients list. I already have squares of Semi Sweet chocolate I had bought from Bulk Barn so, why would I buy more?! Cream Cheese is the other ingredients I chose not to buy name brand. Reason 1: I already had a brick of Great Value cream cheese at home and Reason 2: when I am using cream cheese in combination with other ingredients I think it is rediculous to pay the extra money for the name brand. The Nila wafers required me to go to another store after buying all the other ingredients at another. Oh and FYI I didn't realize that Nila wafers were so small. You will only need to buy one box not two.

Here it is before the INVERT step:


I started out thinking that it was going to be difficult to balance the wafers on their sides around the pan but it wasn't.  Just make sure you are spooning the pudding layer and the cream cheese layer into the center and then working your way out the edges.

After the refrigeration period, I took it out, inverted it and then finished it with 1 cup of cool whip (I did not end up using the entire tub), raspberries and chocolate shavings.


I think it turned out pretty close to the picture.

Now for the Garlic Chicken and Potatoes. Here are the ingredients:


I used the same about of ground cumin instead of seeds.

After taking the picture and reading the recipe over, I realized I forgot this:



The potatoes were easy to put together.


I would suggest either putting more oil on the potatoes or lightly spraying the baking dish with cooking spray. Some of the potatoes stuck to the bottom of the dish.

I set my oven timer to 20 minutes and when it went off I added another 5 minutes. During those 5 minutes I made the garlic mixture. I then took the potatoes out of the oven and added the chicken breasts.


I did make 5 instead of 4 chicken breasts. Only because of the number of people that come over to eat my blog entry dinners. I modified the amount of everything buy adding a quarter more of the asked amount.

I've never really been comfortable knowing exactly when a chicken breast is completely cooked. My husband has to let me know. There must be a trick.

Here is it served. The chicken did not brown like the one on the recipe.


The chocolate torte was very good but I have a problem making desserts not from scratch. So surprisingly I am going to TOSS this recipe.

The garlic chicken and potatoes was also good. The chicken turned out nice and juicy and the potatoes had a nice crispy exterior. Next time I will use more salt and pepper when seasoning both the potatoes and the chicken. I will also reduce the amount of lemon juice in the garlic mixture that is poured onto the chicken. I think that is why my chicken breasts did not brown. I am going to KEEP this recipe. It did not take long to assemble and my body was not feeling heavy afterwards.

Weight Watcher's followers: The Chocolate Torte is 7 points for a sixteenth. I weighed the chicken and the potatoes. 90 grams of chicken and 150 grams of potatoes (including the olive oil and brown sugar) are approximately 8 points.

No comments:

Post a Comment